Monday, February 4, 2013

Chocolate Oatmeal Brownies


Chocolate Oatmeal Brownies
Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2006 ed.), pg. 154.

My last post was Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies and now we have the brownies. Yum! Yum! Unlike the cookies which were too crisp for me, these are soft (Maida compares them to macaroons). They are great heated in the microwave for about 8 seconds and then topped with ice cream. I found myself eating about 6 in a row after I had made them. Until spring comes and I can get outside, I may have to seek out a diet plan.

They are very easy, all done in a saucepan.

3 oz. (3 squares) unsweetened chocolate
1/4 lb. (1 stick) sweet butter
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup dark or light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 2/3 cups quick-cooking (not "instant") rolled oats
4 oz. (generous 1 cup) walnut halves or large pieces

Adjust rack to center of oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Butter or spray the bottom and sides of a 9-inch square pan (I actually used an 8-inch pan) with aluminum foil.     

Melt the chocolate and butter in a heavy 2-3 qt. saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally until melted.

Now mix in all of the other ingredients in the order listed in the recipe: salt, sugar, honey, vanilla, egg, oats and nuts.


The mixture will be very thick.


Pack the mixture firmly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 15 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 15-20 minutes. Cover with another rack and invert and carefully remove the foil. (Note: The mixture tried to crumble apart on me so be very careful. If it does try to come apart, it can easily be pushed back into place with your fingers). Cool completely or chill in the freezer or refrigerator before slicing into bars.
 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been making these for years and they are delicious but I have never been able to conquer the crumbling issue. More butter perhaps?