Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Applesauce Loaf


Applesauce Loaf (Source: Maida Heatter's Cakes (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2011 ed., pg. 255).

This recipe is very similar to the one I just posted - the Blueberry Applesauce Loaf. Since I wasn't too happy with the taste of that one, I decided to eliminate the whole wheat flour and use all-purpose flour (so I used 2 cups of all-purpose flour and no whole wheat flour). This is a matter of personal preference. I thought it tasted much better without using the whole wheat but using either method will work fine for the recipe. 


I still have applesauce left from the Chunky Applesauce I made earlier so I'm still using that. I was looking through her books again last night and noticed that I haven't made the Chocolate Applesauce Cake yet! A serious omission and one that I must do soon! 


1 cup raisins

1 cup sifted all-purpose white flour (or 2 cups if you want to use instead of the whole wheat flour)
1 cup sifted all-purpose whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups walnuts, halves or large pieces
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. powdered instant expresso or coffee
4 oz. unsalted butter
3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sweetened or unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 350. Butter (or spray) a 8 cup capacity loaf pan and dust with fine, dry bread crumbs (or flour).



Add two tablespoons of white flour (reserving the rest) and toss it with the raisins and nuts. Set aside.

Sift the reserved flour with the salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and powdered instant coffee.



Beat the butter until soft, add the sugar and and eggs and mix well. 


Add the applesauce. 
On low speed, add the whole-wheat flour (or do like I did and use white flour).


Remove the mixer bowl and stir in the raisins and nuts. 





Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and smooth the top. With the spatula, form a shallow trench down the middle lenghtwise. This will keep it from rising too high in the middle. 


Bake for 50 -60 minutes until a tester comes out the center clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before slicing.



No comments: