Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Greenwich Village Brownies



Greenwich Village Brownies 
Source: Maida Heatter's Cookies (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1997 ed.), pg. 123.

Maida Heatter has many brownie recipes and looking at my index, it looks like I've made five of them (counting this one). My favorite so far were the Santa Fe Brownies - so decadent. I would rank these as second - they are just as moist and chewy as I remember the Santa Fe.

I used walnuts instead of pecans because that is what I had on hand. I actually prefer pecans though and it seems that most of Maida's recipes call for walnuts. I noticed recently that almost all of her recipes call for nuts which I find interesting.

The recipe makes 32 large brownies.

2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
8 oz. unsalted butter (softened)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup light corn syrup
6 eggs
3 cups pecan halves or large pieces

Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare a 15.5 x 10.5 x 1 inch pan by buttering or spraying and lining it with aluminum foil. Butter the foil as well.

Sift the flour and salt together and set aside.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or simmering water. Stir until smooth and set aside.

Cream the butter and add the vanilla. 


Add the white and brown sugar. 



Add the corn syrup and beat until smooth. 
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well. 
Beat in the melted chocolate. 

Add the flour, mixing well. Scrap the sides of the bowl as necessary. 
Add 2 cups of the nuts, reserving 1 cup. 
Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. 
Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of nuts over the top. 
Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean from the center. 
Cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and carefully remove the foil. Allow to cool completely. The cake should be refrigerted or frozen before cutting so that it will be firm.
Cut off any burnt edges.

The brownies can be individually wrapped or stored in an airtight container. Best if stored in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Terri said...

They look delicious! I have tried several of Maida’s brownies, I think these will be next!
Thank you for your inspiration!
Terri

Jessica said...

Maida's Greenwich Village brownies are my go to recipe. I haven't come across the santa fe brownie recipe. I am going to check that one out here on your site. Thank you!