Saturday, December 12, 2020

Lebkuchen

 

Lebkuchen (Source: Maida Heatter's New Book of Great Desserts (Alfred A. Knopf, 1982. pg. 310. Also in Maida Heatter's Cookies (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1997 ed.), pg. 104.

Apologies for the terrible job on glazing these cookies! In the recipe, Maida states that the glaze will turn clear but this didn't happen with me. Perhaps the cookies cooled too much before I could got the glaze on them.

These cookies were not really hard to make but I did find the recipe a bit confusing. It is a different technique from any other of her recipes that I've tried. This is a 2-day job because they sit overnight before baking the next day. At first, I thought that she must mean that the cookies must chill overnight but no, they actually sit on the counter loosely covered with plastic wrap.  

This is a very sticky dough and very difficult to work with. She recommended using a pastry cloth which I've never used nor own. I don't know if that would have made it any easier. I found that I had to continually flour my board and rolling pin to keep it from sticking. I also veered away from her instructions on cutting these into 2 x 4" inch oblong shapes. Instead, I just used my biscuit cutter. My cookies came out very thin but nicely shaped. Apparently, this recipe is very forgiving although I'm still not sure if mine look the way Maida intended them.

Despite all this, I love the cookies and think they taste wonderful. Very Christmas-y! The cookies are firm (she says they will soften after a few days).

I looked up various other recipes for lebkuchen online and they all vary, from the technique to the ingredients. Most of the recipes that I saw did not call for them sitting overnight.

This is a traditional German cookie that is popular during the holidays. I've seen them covered in chocolate which sounds so tempting but I strictly adhered to this recipe and no chocolate is involved.

For the diced citrus mix, I used the fruit cake mix that is readily available this time of year in grocery stores.

1 1/4 cups blanched almonds
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup granulated sugar
1 TBS. plus 1 1/2 tsp. brandy
1/3 cup honey
3/4 cup mixed candied citron, lemon rind and orange rind, diced
3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour

Makes 28 large cookies

Grind the almonds to a fine powder -


Beat the eggs until thickened (about two minutes).  Add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and gradually add the sugar. Continue to beat until the batter has a ribbon-like consistency.


On low speed, add the almonds, brandy, honey and the fruit mixture.


 


Gradually add 3 cups of the flour (reserving 1/2 cup), scraping the bowl as necessary.


 

Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the remaining flour with a wooden spoon. It will be a very thick batter.


Roll out about 1/3 of the dough at a time. A pastry cloth is recommended. I did not have one and used my usual board and rolling pin. The dough is very sticky and requires frequent flouring. Roll it out to a 1/4" inch thickness. Keep turning it over and flouring each side. Cut the cookies into 2 x 4" oblongs or do as I did and use a cookie cutter.


 Transfer the cookies with a spatula to two large cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper or a non-stick sheet (they will stick to foil). 

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow them to sit overnight on the counter.


 

Day #2

Bake the cookies at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Place the first sheet in the oven and wait 5 minutes before putting the second sheet in the oven. Rotate the pans halfway through.

Prepare the glaze while the cookies are baking.

1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1 TBS. lemon juice
1 TBS. boiling water

Whisk the ingredients together. The glaze will be very thick. 


 After the cookies are out of the oven, brush them with the glaze.

After the glaze has dried, the cookies can be stored airtight or wrapped in cellophane.



No comments: