Friday, November 11, 2011

Colorado Cowboy Cookies


I recall making Cowboy Cookies in the past and I remember that coconut was involved. There are lots of different versions of this cookie (Maida says that any cookie made in Colorado which contains chocolate and oatmeal is called a "Cowboy Cookie"). They are very crisp and keep well in an airtight container. I would prefer more chocolate in them but they are still very addictive. Excellent with a glass of milk!

Colorado Cowboy Cookies
(Makes 36 cookies)

Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2006 ed.), pg. 119


1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 pound (1 stick) sweet butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg (graded large or extra-large)
1 cup quick-cooking or regular (not "instant") rolled oats*
3 ounces (1/2 cup) semisweet chocolate morsels
2 ounces (generous 1/2 cup) walnuts or pecans, cut or broken into medium-size pieces*


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with aluminum foil.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In the large bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter. Add the vanilla and then both sugars and beat well. Add the egg and beat well. On low speed gradually add the sifted dry ingredients and beat, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula, until incorporated.

Remove the bowl from the mixer. Stir in the oats and then the chocolate morsels and nuts. Transfer to small bowl for ease in handling. (Maida says that the dough will be stiff but it wasn't for me)

Use a rounded teaspoonful of the dough to make each cookie. Place the mounds 2 inches apart on the aluminum foil. Bake for about 18 minutes until the cookies are golden-colored and completely dry.* During baking reverse the sheets top to bottom and front to back to insure even browning.

If you bake only one sheet at a time, bake on the upper rack.
With a wide metal spatula transfer the cookies to racks to cool. When completely cool, store them airtight.

*My notes: I used quick-cooking oats and pecans. The trickiest part of making cookies is the baking time. Ovens are different and some may take longer (or shorter) than what the recipe dictates. My oven always gets food done sooner than what the recipe calls for. I've learned to deduct about 10 minutes when making a cake and about 5 minutes for cookies. I then begin checking until it is done. These cookies were ready in my oven in about 14 minutes.

4 comments:

Patti said...

My friend makes these cookies--I've made them once and they're WONDERFUL!!! There's just something about the varied ingredients that make them interesting. Can a cookie be interesting?
Patti@PrettyOldHouses

Phillip Oliver said...

Patti, I think cookies can be interesting! I like the varied combinations in this one too.

Elizabeth said...

I gave my Maida Heatter book to my NYC daughter when we moved to Egypt about 4 years ago (we came back 2 years ago), so thank you for posting this recipe which has been "my"chocolate chip cookie for forever. By the way, I've ALWAYS doubled+ the nuts, chocolate chips (Girardhelli 60%) and the vanilla---no body can get over how marvelous they are!

Phillip Oliver said...

You are welcome Elizabeth! I agree with you.