Sunday, December 9, 2012

Moosehead Gingerbread


Moosehead Gingerbread
Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1999 ed.), pg. 146.

This recipe constitutes 2 firsts - the first time I've ever made gingerbread and my first reader request! I'm thrilled that I have readers! hehe

This recipe is very easy and I already had everything I needed for it except for the molasses. I almost made these in my mini muffin tins to give as gifts but in the end, I decided just to make it in a 9-inch pan as directed. I might try these later in the individual pans and see how they turn out.

This is moist, delicious and wonderful. Maida Heatter got the recipe from a fishing guide at Moosehead Lake, near the Canadian border. She says that dry mustard, pepper and coffee were unusual ingredients for gingerbread at the time but since then, it has become standard.

2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. powdered cloves
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground fine
1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup molasses, dark or light
1 rounded tablespoon instant coffee
1 cup boiling water   

Adjust rack to center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Butter (or spray) a 9-inch square pan. Dust lightly with fine dry bread crumbs. 

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, mustard and black pepper.
Set aside.
    
Beat the butter to soften.

Add the brown sugar and beat 1-2 minutes.
Beat in the eggs one at a time.
Add the molasses (a liquid measuring tube is great for this).
Dissolve the coffee granules in 1 cup of boiling water.
On low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the coffee in 2 additions.
Beat only until smooth. The mixture will be very thin.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes. It is done when the top springs back when lightly pressed with your fingertips.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
The gingerbread can be served warm or cold.

3 comments:

kebubbler said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. I read about this recipe elsewhere and needed a copy ASAP. And what a lovely idea for a blog. I'm going to come back to read more of it.

Unknown said...

I have been making Moosehead Gingerbread for years. I made individual gingerbread in my individual brownie pan this year, and also my individual springform ans. They came out beautifully.
Pat Morgan

Phillip Oliver said...

Hi Pat, it is my favorite gingerbread recipe.