Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Zucchini Loaf from Seattle



Zucchini Loaf from Seattle (Source: Maida Heatter's Cakes (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2011 ed., pg. 214).

Since I am a new resident of Washington and I just picked my first zucchini, I thought it would be appropriate to choose this recipe for the July Cake Slice Bakers group. I did make a few changes, basically to cut down on the high calories and sugar content. First, instead of using 1 cup of oil, I used 1/2 cup of canola oil and 1/2 cup of applesauce. Second, instead of 2 cups of sugar, I used 1 cup of white sugar plus 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I am not sure how much that helped but it turned out delicious and was very easy to make. This is a recipe that I will go to again since the zucchinis do very well here.

I used a long, narrow pan (measuring 12" long by 4" wide). The cake took about 50 minutes in the oven.

Maida says this recipe came from a Seattle restaurant called E.A.T.


3 cups sifted all purpose flour
Scant 1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 lb. zucchini (to make 2 cups, shredded)
2 eggs
2 cups granulated sugar (I used 1 1/4 cup)
1 cup vegetable oil (I used half oil, half applesauce)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 oz. (1 cup) chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Butter or grease a loaf pan (with a 10 cup capacity or you can use 2 smaller pans). Sprinkle with bread crumbs.

Grate the zucchini in julienne-shaped slivers. Do not drain.

Beat the eggs just to mix. Add the sugar, oil and vanilla. Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix well. Add the zucchini and nuts. Mix with a wooden spoon.

Turn the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 - 50 minutes (baking time will depend on the size pan you are using). Bake until a tester comes out clean.

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing.

10 comments:

Carlee said...

What great changes you made! I will have to sub some applesauce for some of the oil next time. You picture is lovely too!

Phillip Oliver said...

Carlee, applesauce makes a good substitute for oil!

OvenDelights said...

Nice! This sure makes a great snacking cake for a road trip!

Gina said...

I like the idea of substituting applesauce for half the oil. Judging by your results it works really well.

EmilyC said...

Will certainly use applesauce the next time I bake this (hopefully with chocolate!) thanks for this tip! Such a delicious loaf you baked!

rebecca said...

I'm gonna make this now! I was thinking of adding chocolate too.

Unknown said...

Wow this was such a popular choice this month. Looks great!

Kathleen said...

How fun to select a recipe from your new home. This turned out great. I'm glad to see the substitutions. I do that with a lot of recipes. This sounds great.

Elle said...

Going to bake this again because the zucchini won't slow down. Will do it your way with the applesauce and brown sugar subs...great idea! Your loaves look wonderful and have great color.

Hazel said...

Oh Philip, what great changes that yielded such super results!! The first photo looks like it came straight out of a baking book.. You sure do have a knack!! Hazel x