Sunday, September 15, 2019

Blueberry Applesauce Loaf


Blueberry Applesauce Loaf (Source: Maida Heatter's Cakes (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2011 ed., pg. 270).

I wanted to make something with the applesauce that I just made so I decided to try the Blueberry Applesauce Loaf since I had some blueberries in the freezer. I have to say that this was far from my favorite. I believe that it is the whole wheat flour that I did not like. The cake is very dense and bakes beautifully. The blueberry flavor is very nice and intense but the flavor of the cake was lacking. I plan to make the Applesauce Loaf (a very similar recipe but without the blueberries) next and I'm going to use all-purpose flour and omit the wheat flour and see how it turns out. Tune in later for that!

1 1/2 cups pecan pieces, toasted
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup sifted all-purpose wheat flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mace
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup plus 2 TBS sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp. lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter (or spray) 2 loaf pans that have a 4 or 5 cup capacity.

Wash the berries and let them drain.


Finely grind 3/4 of the pecans (reserving the other 3/4 cup) and dust the buttered pans with them.

Remove 1 tablespoon of the flour. Sift the remaining flour, the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mace and set aside. 

Beat the eggs slightly. 

Mix in the oil. 


Add one cup of the sugar, reserving 2 tablespoons. 

Add the applesauce

Add the lemon juice

On low speed, add the sifted ingredients

Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the nuts. 

Add the reserved tablespoon of flour to the berries and toss gently.

Fold the berries into the batter. 

Divide the batter between the two pans and smooth the tops. Sprinkle the tops with the reserved sugar and additional nuts if desired. 
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. 

No comments: