Friday, November 5, 2021

Coffee Buttercrunch Pie revisited




Coffee Buttercrunch Pie
Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1999 ed.), pg. 355.

(Note: This recipe uses uncooked eggs in the filling)
 
This is one of the most popular recipes on the blog and since I didn't make the crust exactly as Maida instructed the first go-around, I thought it was time I gave this a re-vamp. The recipe originated from Blum's in San Francisco where it was called "Coffee-Toffee Pie". 
 
This time I did make the crust with a pie crust mix and it is incredibly delicious. So much better than a pre-bought crust or the graham-cracker method I used the first time. 
 
Since she did not give a measurement for the pie crust mix (she just says "1/2 package), I wasn't exactly sure what size package she was referring to and there are many different brands and sizes. I used one of the smaller packages which amounts to approximately 5-6 ounces. I do think more is needed, especially if you want the crust to cover the sides. I only had enough to do a bottom crust layer.
 
So here it is again, made with the exact instructions, and I documented it on YouTube. Enjoy! 




CRUST

(This may be doubled. The extra crust may be frozen.)

1/2 package pie crust mix (about 5-6 ounces but you may need more - see my comments above)
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 1/2 oz. (3/4 cup) walnuts (or pecans), finely chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 TBS. water

Place the pie crust mix in a mixing bowl.

Process the chocolate until it is very fine. Add the sugar and nuts. Pulse briefly and transfer to a mixing bowl. Mix the vanilla and water and drizzle it over the mixture. Use a fork to stir and toss. The mixture will be lumpy and crumbly but it will hold together when pressed into the pan.

Press the mixture into a greased 9" pie pan. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.


FILLING

1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp. instant coffee
2 eggs

Melt the chocolate over hot water and set aside to cool.

Beat the butter to soften it.
 
Gradually add the sugar and beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes.



Beat in the cooled melted chocolate and the instant coffee.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 5 minutes after each, scraping the bowl as necessary. 
Pour the filling into the crust. (Note: The crust photos are from the first time making this and it appears slightly different.)
Smooth out the filling and refrigerate for 5-6 hours or overnight. You can also freeze it (freeze until the filling is firm, then wrap it airtight.) Frozen pies should be uncovered and thawed in the refrigerator overnight.


TOPPING

Prepare the topping a few hours before serving.

2 cups heavy cream
2 TBS. instant coffee
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
Optional: Coarsely grated semisweet chocolate

Whip the cream with the coffee and sugar in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters until firm. Do not overbeat (just until it holds its shape). Smooth over the filling (you can use a pastry bag if you want it be fancy). Sprinkle with grated chocolate (optional).






17 comments:

Jen said...

oh man. That looks amaaazing. And pretty easy? Definitely adding this one to my list to do!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen said...

I´ve had this one bookmarked for years too! Now I can finally see what it´s supposed to be like. I always thought about the uncooked eggs, but never realized it´s a mousse!

Unknown said...

Very easy and good method for preparing such a delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing this nice recipe.

Regards,
Glan Deas


Kopi Luwak

Hayley said...

I made this pie for Father's Day and it was a hit! But I used WAY less than 2 TBS of coffee for the topping--maybe half of a TBS instead. It just seemed like way too much. Making it again this week for my Dad's birthday, though!

Phillip Oliver said...

I'm happy to hear it turned out good Hayley!

Buttercrunch Nj said...

There's nothing like the rich luxury of hand-dipped chocolate and finely crafted fudge to provide a tiny escape from the monotony of the day. And there's really nothing like a delicious chocolate creation from Suzi's!

Unknown said...

I noticed that you have lots of yummy recipes on your page and I would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: www(dot) mytaste.com/top-food-blogs
If you want to add your food blog for get more visit traffic to the list and have your recipes indexed on myTaste.com, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: www(dot) mytaste.com/add-your-food-blogs (If the link is not work please, try this process entre to myTaste.com > click on the bottom on the top right hand side > click Top Food Blog > Join Top Food Blog > add your ulr and mail).

Hopefully hearing from you soon,

Thanks,
Sakk Tº
info@mytaste(dot)com

starbitrary said...

What's the shelflife for one of these?

Melany said...

there is no vanilla listed in the filling but you clearly added it... is there supposed to be vanilla?

Phillip Oliver said...

Melany, there is no vanilla in the filling, only in the crust. Apparently I made a mistake when writing that. I have corrected it. So sorry for the confusion!

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this! My mom made this recipe back in the 70's...and it instantly become our family favorite. We've won 2 first place prizes with it ...one at school, one at work. I'll be making it for my sister's 50th wedding anniversary this weekend as a surprise. I think it'll be a hit! 😁

Melany said...

Wow! I have been researching to find this recipe!!! It is amazing! Seriously, I’ve spent at least 3 hours this month trying to find it again.....By the power of the cosmos someone posted a comment and I got an email linking me back to it!!!!!!!!

Nanci said...

I do hope you get this question. I have long given away my MH Dessert book but am wondering about this crust. Can it be done with graham cracker crust and then add the other ingredients? I thought that is what I remember doing when I made this pie many many years ago. What do you think? And does the chocolate have to be unsweetened or can you use semisweet? Thanks so much. I may try it anyway and then let you know.

Phillip Oliver said...

Nanci, I am probably too late (sorry, I was out of town) but to answer your question, a graham cracker crust should not make a difference. In fact, any type would be okay as the crust and the filling are separate. I hope this helps and hope that it turned out well for you!

Melany said...

Nanci, I’ve made it city ways. I prefer the crumb crust which was linked. A gram cracker crust holds up much better than the traditional pie crust style- and it really compliments the flavor great!

Anonymous said...

Looks great but I’m afraid to use raw egg. I’m surprised nobody has mentioned that. I live in Ontario Canada and we don’t have pasteurized eggs here. How do you make sure your dessert is safe to eat?

Phillip Oliver said...

I mentioned it at the beginning of the post. It does contain raw eggs so pasteurized eggs are recommended.