Monday, November 22, 2021

Chocolate Scotch Shortbread Cookies


Chocolate Scotch Shortbread Cookies (Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2006 ed.), pg. 128.

Every shortbread recipe from Maida that I've tried have been hits. I don't believe there are many left and I was surprised that I had not made the chocolate version. They are very good and not difficult to make. You can make these with a food processor or the mixer. I used the food processor. 

The baking time is listed as 25-30 minutes which I suspect may be too long. I started checking at 15 minutes and took them out at 20. They are supposed to be done when "firm to the touch". Since the cookies are very thin, this was perplexing but I've learned that under baking is always better than over baking. They turned out perfect.

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) sweet butter (cold)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 300.

These can be made either in a food processor or electric mixer. I used the food processor and the directions follow. If you are using a mixer: Cream the butter. Add the vanilla, sugar and salt and beat to mix. Add the flour and cocoa on low speed, scraping the bowl as necessary, until the mixture holds together.

Food processor directions:

Place the dry ingredients in the processor bowl.

 

Cut the cold butter into small pieces and sprinkle over the flour mixture. Add the vanilla. Cover and process until the mixture holds together.

 

Remove the dough from the processor and form into a ball. Flatten it slightly.

 

Flour both sides of the dough as well as the rolling pin. Flour the counter or surface and roll out the dough until it is 1/2 inch thick.

Cut the cookies with a 1 1/2" cookie cutter (dip the cookie cutter in flour if they stick) and place them 1 inch apart on unbuttered cookie sheets. Roll up the excess dough to make more cookies.


Pierce the cookies with a fork three times (I actually forgot to do this on the second batch and they came out exactly like the pricked ones).

Bake until firm to the touch (20-30 minutes). Keep an eye on them as you don't want to overbake.  (This is a bit tricky since I could not really tell if they were firm or not. I baked mine for 20 minutes.) If baking one sheet at a time, use the upper rack. If baking two pans, switch them halfway through baking.

Allow them to sit on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. 



4 comments:

Rosina Lippi Green said...

I'm really pleased to have found this page. It was (I think) 1977 when I got my first MH cookie book. For 25+ years I made seven or eight of her recipes during the holidays. Due to multiple family crises, this tradition had to be put aside. Now I want to begin again, starting with just three of our favorites. My personal favorite is her Neopolitan cookie, but nobody in the family remembers it but me, and I never took a photo. Do you happen to know where I might find one? Also, I think the buttercrunch pie is what I'll be making for company next. Thanks for the great info about MH and her wonderful recipes.

Rosina Lippi Green said...

PS: Do you have an all time favorite cookie of hers?

Phillip Oliver said...

Hi Rosina, thank you so much for your comments! I have not made the Neopolitan cookies yet but I may do that soon. I need to look at it again. I've made several that I really loved - the Chocolate Street cookies, Anise Icebox and Moravian wafers, just to name a few. I can't think of any cookie recipes that have turned out bad.

Rosina Lippi Green said...

I'll have a look at this anise icebox cookies, I somehow missed that one (and me, Italian). If you do try the Neopolitan recipe, and you are patient, they taste even better the second and third days after baking. Miraculous, really.