Friday, December 5, 2014

Date-Nut Rocks



Date-Nut Rocks
Source: Maida Heatter's Cookies (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1997 ed.), pg. 87.

These cookies are thick and soft and have a nice subtle flavor. Be careful not to overbake. I burned the bottoms of the cookies on my first batch. I would recommend setting your timer a a few minutes before the designated time (18 minutes) and take them out early. The batter is very light in color and easy to work with. I always use an ice-cream scoop for forming the dough. It makes it so much easier. I used pecans for the nuts but walnuts are fine as well.

I had dates in the cabinet from earlier in the year and wondered if they were still okay to use. I was reading the box and noticed that it said it was best to refrigerate after opening. I learned something new! I used the dates anyway as well as some fresher ones and they turned out okay.  




2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. allspice
4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups pitted dates, cut into 3 or 4 pieces
2 cups pecans or walnuts, coarsely broken

Preheat the oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and allspice and set aside.

Cream the butter, beat in the vanilla and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well. 

Lower the speed of the mixer and add half of the flour mixture followed by the sour cream. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix well. 

Remove the bowl from the mixer.
 
Stir in the chopped dates.

Stir in the pecans (or walnuts).
Place tablespoons of the dough onto the lined pans, spacing them about 2" apart. Bake for 14-18 minutes. The cookies are done when they are lightly colored and spring back when pressed. Be careful not to overbake! Transfer to a wire rack to cool.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made these tonight. Yummy!

Carol Smaldino said...

I am so glad I found this. This recipe is divine. I've used it many times. Blissful.