Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Chocolate Cracks

 

Chocolate Cracks
Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1999 ed.), pg. 203.


Maida doesn't provide any commentary about this recipe and when I saw it, I assumed that it was a recipe that I've long used in which the cookies develop cracks while baking. Unlike the recipe I've used in the past (I cannot remember which recipe that was), this one doesn't use powdered sugar. Aside from that, the cookies remind me of the same taste. They are soft and chewy and have a rich chocolate flavor.
 
This recipe is easy peasy. Here is the fast version (my attempt at making a video)!
 
 
 
And the more detailed version...

3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
6 oz. butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 TBSP. water
12 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped (or chocolate chips)
2 eggs
 
Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. 


In a heavy saucepan, melt the sugar, butter and water together until blended.


Add the chocolate and and stir until partially melted. Remove from the heat and stir until completely melted.


Transfer to a mixing bowl and let it cool for five minutes before proceeding.


Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until mixed. Gradually add the sifted flour mixture, scraping the bowl as necessary. Let the dough stand for about 10 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. 

Using a teaspoon measure, form the dough into balls and place them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.


Bake for 11-12 minutes. Tops will feel dry but not firm. Do not overbake. Place on baking racks to cool. As they cool, they will crisp up. Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. 




8 comments:

cookingwithferdinand said...

Hiya Phillip!

I just became a Maida fan a few month ago and bought just about every book I could get my hands on. I'm curious about the different editions of her books. Is there anything significant between the first Greatest Desserts vs the 90's edition?

Phillip Oliver said...

Hello! I am assuming that you are referring to the series of books that focused on specific items ("Maida Heatter's Cookies", "Maida Heatter's Cakes", etc)? If so, the recipes are the same to the best of my knowledge. They are compiled from various earlier books.

cookingwithferdinand said...

Sorry, I wasn't clear (d'oh!)
Anything comparable between "Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts" (1974) and "Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts" (1999)
Dori Greenspan does mention something about a wrong lemon cake on YouTube.

Phillip Oliver said...

I'm not sure because I don't have the original edition. I found the video you mentioned (note to self - I haven't made the Buttermilk Lemon Cake!), It is somewhat of a mystery because that cake is not even in the 1999 edition. It is, however, in the "Maida Heatter's Cake" compilation which repeated recipes from 2 books from the 80s.

cookingwithferdinand said...

Oh, I made it two months ago. It was a lovely cake! Super lemony and tart.

JUDY RASIN said...

I have been a Maida fan for many years, but I have never made Chocolate Cracks. I will be making cookies for young teens in May, and I want to be sure I am picking good recipes. Have you continued to bake these, and do you still think this is a winning recipe? Please LMK - THANKS! Judy

Phillip Oliver said...

Hi Judy - yes, I would make these again. This one is a "keeper".

elliesue said...

Have been making these for years. Prefer them without powdered sugar. I make them for the grands to nibble on while they make our other traditional holiday cookies. Originally found the recipe in the New York Daily News.