Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Rum Mocha Chocolate Sauce


Rum Mocha Chocolate Sauce (Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2006 ed.), pg. 259. 

At the moment, this is my new favorite chocolate sauce for ice cream. Wonderfully soft and rich with a pronounced mocha flavor. Delicious! 

I've had some of this in a jar in my refrigerator for several days now and it remains very soft. It is soft enough to spoon out easily and pour over ice cream. But it is also great warmed as well.

I did not have dark rum but did have light so I used that. I don't think it would make a great difference.

1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp. dark rum (or light)
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry instant coffee
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt the butter over low heat in a medium-sized heavy saucepan (I used 3 quart size).



Add the sugar, cocoa, rum, heavy cream and salt. Stir over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil.


Add the instant coffee and stir until dissolved.


Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.


Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla.


It can be served hot, warm or at room temperature. It can be reheated over hot water. It is good for weeks stored in the refrigerator.

No comments: