Thursday, April 27, 2023

Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Cookies


Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Cookies (Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2006 ed.), pg. 117. 

I have been wanting to make these for a long time but I could never remember to buy powdered skimmed milk. I have never used this in my life. I don't believe the product I purchased was "skimmed" milk but whatever, it worked. 

The cookies are delicious, very soft and chewy. I did not have enough nuts on hand and used coconut instead. I plan to make these again soon (since I have powdered milk on hand!) and I will try the nuts next time.

1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup dry instant powdered skimmed milk
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
6 oz. walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped (or shredded coconut can be sustituted)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. Line cookie sheets wtih aluminum foil.

Cream the butter. Add the vanilla and sugar and beat well. 

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Beat mixture until slightly lighter in color.

Add the salt, baking soda and powdered milk.

On low speed, gradually add the flour, beating only until incorporated.

Stir in the nuts and the chocolate chips.


Use a teaspoon or ice-cream scoop and place the cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.



Bake for 12-14 minutes, reversing the sheets half-way through baking. Bake until the cookies are semi-firm and slightly darkened. If baking one sheet at a time, use the higher oven rack. 



Transfer cookies to a wire rack for cooling. Store in an airtight container.


2 comments:

Issa said...

Oh, you've changed your blog theme! Haven't been in here for a while (only found your marvellous sites around two years ago).

Anonymous said...

Wow these sound fantastic and lean in the “healthy” side haha.