Monday, November 12, 2018

Delicious Bran Loaf




Delicious Bran Loaf  (Source: Maida Heatter's Cakes (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2011 ed., pg. 265).

Another "healthy" recipe, this one is on the next page following Health Food Raisin Bread. I think I like this one better but they are both good. I like the addition of dates to this recipe and it makes the cake (or bread) more moist. This isn't sweet and it makes a good bread for breakfast or a coffee break. 

I used Kellogg's All-Bran cereal for the recipe (and Maida Heatter said that she did too) and I did not include the sunflower or pumpkin seeds, which are optional.

1 cup 100% bran cereal
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup dark or light molasses
2 TBS unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup boiling water
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup walnuts or pecans in large pieces
1/2 cup dates, cut into pieces
Optional: 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose white flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 inch loaf pan and dust it with wheat germ, quick-cooking oatmeal or fine, dry bread crumbs. (I used wheat germ)

Place the bran, raisins, molasses and butter in a large mixing bowl.

Add the boiling water and stir until the butter has melted.
Add the egg, nuts, dates and optional seeds. 
Sift the two flours, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon over the mixture in the bowl.

Stir until just mixed.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is barely firm to the touch.
Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phillip: I made this yesterday, with an accurate oven, and the size loaf pan specified. I baked for 40 min. as stated, and tested for doneness as noted. But my loaf did not seem to be done in the center after it had cooled. It also did not rise very much, and I think would be better if baked in an 8 X 4-inch pan for maybe 50 minutes. I am curious if you experienced any of this. But of course it still tastes quite good.

Phillip Oliver said...

Sorry I just now saw your comment. Thanks for the suggestion - I will add that information. I do recall that they did not rise that much. The baking times are always tricky with her recipes. They usually don't require as much time but in this case, may need more.