Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Phudge


Phudge 
Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2006 ed.), pg. 249.

This may be the easiest recipe in all of Maida's books. After eating my first piece (and I could have easily ate the whole pan), I realized that I had this before. I think it is a fairly common recipe and I wonder if it originated from Maida Heatter. Whatever the source, it is fantastic. I haven't tried any of the other fudge recipes which require a bit more skill than this one but taste wise, this one is hard to beat. It can be eaten cold or at room temperature. I like it cold. It gets very soft when it gets to room temperature.

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
6 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup walnuts or pecans (medium sized pieces0

After melting the chocolate, beat in the cream cheese, vanilla and salt. Beat in the remaining sugar and melted chocolate and the nuts. Transfer to a foil-lined 8" pan. Wrap and refrigerate until firm.

Serve cold or at room temperature.

Yum

No comments: