Sunday, August 4, 2019

Poppy Seed Cake

Poppy Seed Cake (Source: Maida Heatter's Cakes (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2011 ed., pg. 27). Also in Maida Heatter's New Book of Great Desserts (Alfred A. Knopf, 1982, pg. 118).

I have made poppy seed cakes in the past but for some reason, I had never tried Maida's recipe. It is good but tasted a bit bland so I added a lemon frosting to give it a bit of oomph. Actually, a lemon glaze might have worked best, but this was good and got some raves from the folks at my workplace. 

This recipe was given to Maida by the chef of Chocolat bakery in San Francisco.

2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
8 oz unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, separated, plus 1 additional white 
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350. Use a plain tube pan (the kind that comes in two pieces) - do not butter or line the pan.

Sift together the first three ingredients and set aside. 

Cream the butter. Add 1 1/4 cups of the sugar (reserving 1/4 cup) and beat several minutes until light and creamy. Add the egg yolks and beat for 2 or 3 minutes, scraping the bowl as necessary.

In a small bowl, stir the sour cream, poppy seeds and vanilla together.

Beat about 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter. Add the sour cream mixture, beating only until incorporated. Add the remaining flour mixture.



In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the 1/4 sugar. 



Fold 1/4 of the whites into the batter but do not mix it thoroughly. Fold in another 1/4. Add the batter to the remaining whites and fold together until blended. 







Turn into the pan, rotate it briskly to level the batter and bake for 50-55 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.







After removing it from the oven, turn it upside down on a wire rack to cool completely. After cooling, it is best to freeze the cake before removing it from the pan. After freezing, use a sharp knife to score around the sides of the pan and the center tube. Carefully remove it from the pan. 








9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I know what you mean about the flavor! Some time ago I remembered the flavor of a poppy seed filled pastry I'd had years before and realized that poppy seed paste is made by boiling poppy seeds in some water and then adding the rest of the ingredients. So, by analogy, I decided to add a preparatory step to bring out their flavor in a cake. I bring my 1/4 cup poppy seeds to a boil in a 1/4 cup of water and let them stand covered for a while. You can do this in the microwave or on the stove, of course. I even reheat them to the boiling point after they've stood for a bit just for insurance...
What a difference that makes in the flavor of the cake! I also use grated rind from 1 lemon-- and however much of its juice I need for the glaze.

Phillip Oliver said...

Hi Elizabeth - this is brilliant! I will definitely try this the next time I make anything with poppy seeds. Who knew? I didn't!

Elizabeth said...

And I should have added that whatever little bit of liquid is unabsorbed after plumping the poppyseeds does not affect the texture of your cake, so don't "drain" them.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just stumbled on you blog. For anyone who is new to Maida's recipes, which of her cookbook's would you recommend?

Phillip Oliver said...

I would recommend her first book "Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts" and her "Book of Great Chocolate Desserts". Also, if you get "Cakes" and "Cookies", you will be getting a compilation of recipes from most of her books.

Elizabeth said...

I completely agree with you, Philip! As someone who has faithfully baked (mostly) his way through her life's work!

Terri said...

Good advice, I have both and are very good!

FWP 209 said...

I have to say I have made almost everything in "Maida Heatter's New Book of Great Desserts" and it's my favorite. I am primarily a cake guy and the compilation "Maida Heatter's Cakes" also contains most of the best recipes from all the books. Lemon Buttermilk Cake #2 has kep my family going for decades; I even made it for my son's wedding.

Anonymous said...

Great tip to soak the seeds!! I used 1 cup of poppy seeds, ground in a Suribachi then soaked in hot milk just to cover. I reduced sugar to I cup, used 2 vanilla beans but otherwise made as written and it was delicious!!! So moist and springy at the same time. Without lemon you can really taste the poppy seeds.