Friday, December 18, 2020

Fruitcake Icebox Cookies

 




Fruitcake Icebox Cookies (Source: Maida Heatter's Cookies (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1997 ed.), pg. 173.

When I first saw this, I thought it might be a dessert that Michael talks about from his childhood that he calls "Icebox Fruitcake". However, this is different as they are baked. Michael's mother dessert had a graham cracker crust and was not not baked.

I had some fruit cake mix left over and I used it in place of the pineapple and cherries. The mix has cherries and most likely pineapple as well.

The cookies have a sandy texture and remind me of shortbread cookies. The fruitcake flavor is very prominent and they are quite good. 

I baked one half of the dough and frozen the remainder to make at a later date.

I accidentally deleted my work photos for this post. I think that is the first time I've ever done that. The recipe is simple, however, and I don't think they add that much.

2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 egg
1 cup diced candied pineapple
1 cup diced candied cherries
1 2/3 cups pecans, chopped (or pistachio)

Makes 72-80 cookies

Sift together the flour and cream of tartar and set aside.

Cream the butter. Add the sugar and the egg and mix well.

On low speed, slowly add the flour mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.

Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and with a wooden spoon or your hands, mix in the fruit and nuts.

Cut two 15" strips of wax paper. Cut the dough in half and place each on the wax paper. Form the dough into a 9-10" oblong shape. Use the sides of the wax paper to shape the dough, about 2" in diameter. Wrap in the paper and chill for several hours or overnight.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Unwrap the dough and slice into 1/4 inch cookies. Place cookies about 1 inch apart.

Bake 12-14 minutes until the edges and bottoms of the cookies are golden brown (the tops will not brown). 

Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack with a metal spatula.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I haven't thought of these in years! My mother made something similar and would take these to my classroom Christmas parties in primary school a million years ago! I have all her recipes and never found the fruitcake cookie one, so forgot about it. Thanks for posting!

Phillip Oliver said...

You are welcome!

Adnan Javed said...

Nice Blog :)
Shilajit