Sunday, September 5, 2021

English Gingersnaps #1

 

English Gingersnaps #1  (Source: Maida Heatter's Cookies (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1997 ed.), pg. 257.

Gingersnaps are one of those cookies that I would not think of as a favorite yet when I start eating them, I can't stop. They are normally a cookie I would make around the holidays but recently, some friends visited our garden and I wanted to make gingersnaps because they are the husband's favorite cookie. 

I've had both soft and crisp gingersnaps and I like both. I usually prefer a soft cookie though and these are soft but get a bit firm after cooling. 

After I had compiled my ingredients together, I found that I didn't have a full 1/4 molasses but was close. I added some maple syrup to complete it. 

There is also a recipe for English Gingersnaps #2 which is a variation with smaller cookies that are more crisp and gingery. I have not made that one.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies.

2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. powdered cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. black pepper
6 oz. (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
Granulated sugar (to roll the cookies in)

Preheat the oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and black pepper. Set aside.
 

Cream the butter and add the brown sugar. Mix well.

 

Add the egg and the molasses, mixing until light in color.




 

Gradually add the sifted ingredients on low speed.


 

Refrigerate the dough for about 10-15 minutes (you can leave it in the mixer bowl).

Place sugar in a bowl or plate. Form the dough into rounded tablespoons and roll it in the sugar. Place the cookie balls about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.


 

Bake for 12-13 minutes. Cookies are done when they feel semi-firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack for cooling.



No comments: