Sunday, April 3, 2022

Light Rocky Roads

 


Light Rocky Roads 
(Source: Maida Heatter's Cookies (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1997 ed.), pg. 134.

A very easy and very quick recipe. I doubled it and made them in a 13" x 9" pan. I thought the crust should have been thicker (she says it makes a thin crust and it certainly does). I wanted to use pecans instead of walnuts but I didn't have enough on hand. I simply like pecans much better than walnuts.  Either is fine. 

I would advise you to line the pan with baking paper. The recipe does not specify this but I suspected that it would be hard to remove them neatly from the pan otherwise.

There is also a "Dark Rocky Roads" with a chocolate layer and glaze but I have not tried that one yet.

(Makes 18 bars)

1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup dark or light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, finely cut



Preheat the oven to 350. Use the lower third rack. Butter or spray an 8-inch pan and line with parchment paper.

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and set aside. In another bowl, combine the egg, sugar, vanilla and butter. Add the flour mixture. Stir in the nuts. Spread the mixture into the pan and smooth out evenly.

Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust springs back when lightly pressed.

Topping

I cup miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Have the topping ingredients ready so that they can be applied to the crust as soon as it comes out of the oven. Immediately cover the crust with a layer of marshmallows, then the nuts and the chocolate chips.

Place the pan back in the oven on the top rack and bake for only 2 or 3 minutes just until the chocolate is softened. Use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate over the marshmallows.


Let it sit until it has reached room temperature. Chill in the refrigerator to set the chocolate.

Cut into squares with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.

1 comment:

sygeller said...

Hey Philip,
Really enjoying this blog. I did a Bibliography of Maida Heatter's books, as I found none in the course of my extensive research. I am also a big fan of Maida's and discovered her when I was 21 from my first roomate when I moved from Ohio to Brooklyn in the early 80s. Her books were being used as text books and were assigned in the culinary school school he was attending! I had been baking since I was 8 years old (with help from my cook-extradinaire mom, of course). Together with my roommate we made together a Sacher Torte completely by hand without the use of an electric mixer, as they were taught in culinary school. I think my arm is still hurting from all the beating. Lol.
If you want to publish Maida's bibliograpy on your blogsite in the Maida's Books section, that would be great. Just write me at: sygeller@hotmail.com
Best regards!,
Stephen