Monday, October 21, 2019

Chocolate Date Nut Cake


Chocolate Date Nut Cake
Source: Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 2006 ed.), pg. 76.

A moist cake that is similar to a brownie. This doesn't require icing so it is a good candidate to take to a function which is what I did. People were intrigued by what was in it - they could see and taste the dates but most were guessing prunes or cherries. The dates give the cake a very moist texture. I have become very fond of dates and often eat them as snacks. 

If you have been making Maida Heatter recipes for some time now, I'm sure you've noticed the many different sizes of pans that she advocates. Sometimes the cake pan size is essential but not always. My 8" inch square pan was purchased many moons ago when I began this adventure. It has now become my favorite cake pan. It is a pleasure to use and I don't believe I've had a failure in it yet. 

6 oz. (3/4 cup) pitted dates
1/3 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup walnuts, cut into medium-sized pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Adjust rack to center of oven. Line an 8-inch pan with foil. Butter or spray the foil.

Finely chop the dates. 

Sprinkle the dates with baking soda and pour the hot water of them. Mix and allow to sit. 

Melt both chocolates in a double boiler over barely simmering water.

Cream the butter and add the salt, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. 

Add the egg...

and the melted chocolate. 

Lower the speed of the mixer and mix in about 1/2 of the flour...

Add the sour cream... and then the remainder of the flour.

Remove the mixer bowl from the stand and stir in the dates and liquid.

Stir in the nuts.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top. 

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean from the middle. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully invert onto a wire rack. Peel off the foil and allow the cake to completely cool. 

After cooling, cut the cake into small squares. 


Yum

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for reminding me about this cake! I will make it as soon as I get home from France (where my daughter and her family live...) Actually, I was trying to remember where I'd seen a recipe for a chocolate date cake last month! FYI-- try making a date whatever recipe with high grade dates-- you should be able to find them at a good Middle Eastern grocery. Amazing! I discovered this delicious fact years ago when I needed to use up dates given to us by friends from the Gulf....

Phillip Oliver said...

Thanks Elizabeth, I will try that!