Monday, April 29, 2024

Lemon Walnut Wafers

Lemon Walnut Wafers  (Source: Maida Heatter's Cookies (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1997 ed.), pg. 78.

I made these in a rush and didn't have time to take my usual photos of the process. I was looking for something quick and easy and I had an overabundant supply of lemons on hand. I recall making a similar recipe called "Old-Fashioned Jumbo Lemon Wafers" (in fact, that recipe is on the opposite page from this one in the book). I don't recall how they compared to this recipe, but I think they are very similar.

Maida simply describes these as "semi-soft with a tart lemon flavor - an old-fashioned cookie from Florida." An apt description. I baked these one sheet at a time, like I normally do, as I find that you can adjust baking times for the next batch if needed. The first batch was a tad overdone (the bottoms of the cookies were overly dark) so I deducted a few minutes for the subsequent batches and they came out perfect. Like she says in the directions, they do not appear done and only show slight browning around the edges.

They are an addictive little cookie and I added a little more lemon juice for extra tartness.

The recipe makes about 36 cookies.

1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Generous pinch of powdered ginger
Finely grated rind of 1 large lemon
3 tbsp lemon juice
4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
1/2 cup walnuts, in medium-sized pieces

Preheat the oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger. Set aside.

Cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and beat well.

Add the egg and yolks until the mixture is light and fluffy.

On low speed, add the sifted dry ingredients, scraping the bowl to make sure all is incorporated.

Stir in the lemon zest and juice and nuts.

Use a rounded teaspoon to form the cookies, placing them about 2 inches apart on the baking pan.

Bake 18-20 minutes. If baking one sheet at a time, use the upper rack. 

When done, they will have a thin brown edge but not brown on the tops. They will spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: