Saturday, May 11, 2024

White Chocolate and Banana Cake



White Chocolate and Banana Cake 
Source: Maida Heatter's Best Dessert Book Ever (Andrews & McMeel Publishing, 1997 ed.), pg.  62.

This is scrumptious and I think it is better than plain old banana bread. My initial intent was to make banana bread and then I stumbled upon this recipe and saw that I had all the ingredients on hand (a rare occurrence!). 

I usually adhere to the exact instructions but in this case, I took a chance on changing the pan and thankfully it worked. The recipe calls for 2 small loaf pans (6 cup size) but I don't have any that small. I thought about it making it in my long 12" loaf pan but at the last minute, I settled on the Bundt pan.

She indicates that the baking time is 1 hour and 15 minutes but my cake was done in 1 hour and I started checking it at 50 minutes. If using the smaller loaf pans, I would begin checking around the 45 minute range as I cannot imagine baking that long in small pans.

The cake is super moist and the coconut and nuts provide a great flavor boost. I also love the crisp edges around the crust. 

6 oz. white chocolate, chopped into 1/4 - 1/2 inch pieces
4 oz. walnuts (or pecans), chopped
3 1/2 oz. (1 firmly packed cup) shredded coconut
8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 3/4 cups unsifted unbleached flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 - 6 fully ripened bananas (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons dark rum (or brandy)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Optional: Sesame seeds (to sprinkle on top)


Adjust the oven rack to the bottom third and preheat to 350. Buutter two 6-cup loaf pans and dust with dry bread crumbs (this also works in a Bundt pan).

Melt the butter and transfer it to the mixing bowl and allow to stand briefly.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Peel and mask the bananas with a fork for a course mixture.



Add the sugar to the butter and beat to mix well.



Add the eggs, rum (or brandy) and vanilla and beat at high speed for about 5 minutes. The mixture will be pale and thick.






Add the bananas and beat just to mix.



On low speed, gradually add the sifted dry ingredients and beat until only incorporated.



Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the coconut, chocolate and walnuts.



Spread batter into the prepared pans. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds if using.

Bake for 50 to 70 minutes, depending on the pan(s) you use. Begin testing at 50 minutes. In a Bundt pan, the cake was done at 55 minutes.

Cool in the pans for 15 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m so glad you went ahead with the bundt pan. That’s what most of us have, and would’ve asked about anyway!!